"Mom, how does the Tooth Fairy fly through the air?"
"How do YOU think?"
"I think moms do it."
"Ah."
"But how can a Mom be a Tooth Fairy?"
"Good moms are lots of things, Princess."
"OH."

Monday, April 12, 2010

A Little Slow on the Uptake

When I tucked Peanut in her sleeping bag in my room last night (why? you ask? Because her bedroom was occupied with a tantrum. About what? Why, coming in from outside, of course), she began to sob loudly. She said it was because she wanted to sleep in my bed with the Cuddle Bear. I reminded her that we tried that the night before, and it had not worked out very well, what with them talking and dancing on the bed until 9:00. I kissed her goodnight figuring it was a regular-kid-not-getting-what-she-wants kind of thing and went down stairs.

But the sobbing went on. And on. And on. And ON. Not letting up, not changing in tone, not getting softer. Something else was up. I went upstairs and laid down with her. Still no change. I let her go on for a while, figuring either she'd calm down or I'd have an inspiration, when I actually DID. Suddenly I Knew what the problem was. And I should have know it a heck of a lot earlier, I must say. I was distracted by Princess and blah blah blah blah blah and didn't predict it. So I said,

"You want to tell me about it, Peanut? If you say it out loud, you might feel better."
"I! Want! To! Sleep! With! CUDDLE BEAAAAAAAAAAAAAR!"
"Not that, Peanut. The other thing. The big one."

Silence. Crickets chirping.

"I think I know what it is. Do you want to say it, or do you want me to say it?"
"YOU say it!!!"
"Ok. You go back to school tomorrow. And Mrs. B. won't be there. And that is very sad and a little scary for you."

More crickets. Then the floodgates opened and the *real* stuff came pouring out. Then we talked about her loose tooth.

Goodnight.

2 comments:

  1. I swear we are living parallel lives. Genea was a wreck yesterday. Totally regressive, dead eyes, weepy, tongue hanging out. All day was like she was not in her brain. I told her to set something on the table, she was standing in front of it. She looked around. She walked a few steps away. She looked at the thing in her hand clearly confused. She asked, what table. We told her, in front of you. She looked up, she looked down, she did not see the table. Etc. She was nervous about going back to school. She loves school, but she has been out which was a change. Now, going back after a week and a half, is a change. We NO LIKE CHANGE. Even a good change is a change.
    Well anyway, she went to school today. Phew!!!!

    ReplyDelete