"Mom, how does the Tooth Fairy fly through the air?"
"How do YOU think?"
"I think moms do it."
"Ah."
"But how can a Mom be a Tooth Fairy?"
"Good moms are lots of things, Princess."
"OH."

Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Day 5 1/2: Yep, it Was Just for A Day

So. I wasn't even through my coffee yet when the Monopoly Jr. game exploded. Princess told Buddy he didn't have to help her pick it up because Peanut was going to play with her. Sadly, she did not run this by Peanut, who had no intentions of playing. Because it didn't work out the way she had planned, Princess changed the story to make it sound like everyone just left at clean-up time, leaving poor, downtrodden-upon, always-left-in-the-lurch Princess to pick up after them. Now how sad it that? Don't you feel really, really bad for her?

After she was faced with the facts of the scenerio (which she firmly denied), she stomped off to the laundry room to take her angst out on my dryer and small refrigerator, pe.e her pants, and yell at me to turn on the timer. This last part was especially confusing to me, as I had never mentioned anything about turning on the timer, just that she was welcome to stop beating up my laundry room when she felt like picking up the game sans the 'tude.

She eventually regulated and picked up the game. Granted, only after she tried to trick Peanut into having to help by inviting her to play the game again. A few minutes later, I found her and said,

"I wonder if you thought you'd have to be a family girl ALL the time. You don't. I don't expect you to be one today. You were a lot of fun to be around yesterday. That probably felt strange, and maybe a little scary. So, if you need to be not fun to be around today, I understand why. Feel free to only think of yourself and what you want."

I hate saying stuff like that, but she needs to know that I KNOW. That's she's not fooling me. That she's not getting all the family stuff without DOING any family stuff. It's bad for her, otherwise. It would feed into that scary, scary sense of entitlement she's got going on. I can love her. But that doesn't mean I get her makeup kit down every time she asks.

2 comments: