"Mom, how does the Tooth Fairy fly through the air?"
"How do YOU think?"
"I think moms do it."
"Ah."
"But how can a Mom be a Tooth Fairy?"
"Good moms are lots of things, Princess."
"OH."

Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Culture Clash

I am not so sure Buddy is an American. He seems to have not gotten the memo that you're supposed to amass as much stuff around you in the biggest space you can find to call just yours. When I tell him that in some parts of India 40 or so people would live in our house, you can catch a glimmer in his eye. He seems to think that the main point of a bigger house would be the acquisition of more children (HA!).

When the girls came, the Cuddle Bear was four weeks old and slept in a bassinet in our room. The other two girls shared a bed in a room slightly larger than Buddy's. Later, we moved a crib into Buddy's room. Then a toddler bed. He was in seventh heaven with all these little sisters, especially the Cuddle Bear. Then Cuddle Bear turned two, and we had to move her to a bed in the girls' bedroom to comply with licensing rules. We considered moving her back in later, but she quickly established and claimed her own space in that room, so we let her be. Except.

Every night two extra people appear in our queen-sized bed: Buddy and the Cuddle Bear. It hasn't been a problem until lately, when Josh has had trouble sleeping. And everyone has about this much space (---) to turn over. They both tell us they're too lonely at night. Apparently they prefer a communal sleeping arrangement. Which seems to involve my bed.

One night, Josh picked up a sleeping Cuddle Bear and tossed her into Buddy's bottom bunk. No midnight apparitions appeared in out bed. Nor the next night. Or the one after that.

I guess we were all meant to sleep with someone breathing near us.

3 comments:

  1. AGGG! I barely tolerate my husband in a king size bed, LOL! Though we do get visits a few nights a week from Genea and her phantom pains. Amazing what a little Mama-time can do for dizzyness, head ache, bump on the shoulder, dubious fluids, stomach ache, ear ache etc.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The thought of having to sleep in the same bed with someone may keep me single for a long time. I'm not a happy camper when I have to share my bed. Thinking I have been single too long. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. my children and i are co-sleeping, too. it's nice (most of the time) and cozy and warms my heart to wake up in the mornings, looking into their little faces (especially when they are still asleep). though, i had to buy a big bed to fit all of us four into it (mom, dad, kid 1, kid 2). ours is 220x200cm ...

    ReplyDelete