"Mom, how does the Tooth Fairy fly through the air?"
"How do YOU think?"
"I think moms do it."
"Ah."
"But how can a Mom be a Tooth Fairy?"
"Good moms are lots of things, Princess."
"OH."

Friday, March 19, 2010

Choosing Words

A couple e-mails came in from Peanut's teacher last night. One was about how Peanut contributed to a discussion of toilet paper usage and environmental conservation by announcing that her father does not wipe when he uses the bathroom. The other was about how she upset Princess by getting into the wrong bus line at school.

We were all in the kitchen. I was doing dishes. Josh was eating cake (does that seem fair to you?). I said:

"Hey, Peanut. I got a letter on the computer from Mrs. B. She said she got worried because you went to a different bus line this afternoon. Can you tell me about that?"

Did you notice how delicate I worded that? No use of the words "wrong," or "why." Nothing with even a whiff of accusation. No mention of upsetting Princess.

Peanut replied, "oh, I just went over to talk to Madison."
Me: "Ah. Well, I'm glad you're being such a good friend. Next time please do your talking at recess, and make sure you stay in your bus line. So no one gets nervous for you."

Again with the delicacy. Notice that?

Then Josh, with his mouth full of cake, pipes up:

"Yeah, and Peanut? I wipe when I poop."



Thank-you. Thank-you very much.

1 comment:

  1. Maybe she meant he doesn't wipe his pee cuz most boys don't? It is nice that she is so environmentally conscious, so many kids that age are not. Mine are on a mission to use as much toilet paper as they can in a day, it appears to be a competition.

    (JK, insert sarcasm font)

    ReplyDelete