"Mom, how does the Tooth Fairy fly through the air?"
"How do YOU think?"
"I think moms do it."
"Ah."
"But how can a Mom be a Tooth Fairy?"
"Good moms are lots of things, Princess."
"OH."

Monday, January 25, 2010

Can You Throw Up Your Brain?

Princess was vomiting Saturday night, and yesterday through last night. I'd be curious to see anything about what illness might temporarily do to an already mixed-up neurology, because boy has she been f.l.a.k.y. flaky.

Quite a while ago I came to the conclusion that you have to have a pretty strong brain to tolerate computer games. And if a brain isn't strong enough to tell a person to use the toilet, than said brain isn't strong enough for screen time. So, when it came to the point where I had to decide whether to buy another Websmoos for the girls to continue the sadistic plot to lure my children into consumerism and gambling or to let them expire, I chose expire. Unfortunately, Buddy, who loves his Websmoos, went into catatonic shock at the thought of allowing his sisters' accounts expire. You would have thought I was putting those cuddly insidious pests to death with my bare hands. We came to the compromise that Buddy could purchase them for his sisters, I'd add them to the accounts, and he could give them to the girls at appropriate gift-giving occasions. Which he did. Except for Princess. Lately he's been asking and asking and asking if I think Princess is ready to play on the computer. And the answer is always no. No, she is making no concerted effort to use the toilet. No, I am not going to try to convince her to make a concerted effort to use the toilet. No, I am not going to offer her a reward to use the toilet. When she is more interested in these fun things than she is in wetting herself, then she will do it. Not before.

But I did decide he could give her the stuffed animal.

She was feeling better, so she was playing and skipping around a chatting, but weird. She was excited about the stuffed toy. She voiced recognition that she would not be using the computer portion. Then, an hour later she said, "Mom, will you set this up on the computer?"

Um.

"Yes Princess. Absolutely I will. You can let me know when your brain is healthy enough to use the computer by using the toilet. All the time."

"I can't wait to play it! It's going to be so fun."

"Princess, you just got done changing your wet pants. Not two minutes ago."

"Uh-huh!"

"And now you're are talking about using the computer. Even though you know you will not be using it for a long, long, long time. Not until you decide and show me you're ready."

"Yeah! I can't wait-"

"Go finish your laundry."

Then she skipped into the living room, where Josh was working on the computer. She asked him several indecipherable things, finishing by asking him to print off a recipe for pancakes for her.

Oh, does my brain hurt!

2 comments:

  1. It's all that head banging from yesterday. ;D

    Cause and effect. Yup. That's broken around here too. With K that is. J's is pretty good most of the time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. BAAAAAAAAAh ha ha, "if a brain isn't strong enough to use a toilet..." Oh man, I am soooo using that!

    ReplyDelete